Re: [opensuse] tablet as remote display
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2017 08:46:01 +0200
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

I am getting asked, more and more, about why we do not use a tablet as
the 'display' in our measurement systems. WiFi issues and
near-real-time measurement control issues aside ("but Roger, why does
NetFlix work over WiFi?" ... sigh).

So, here's my question to the list: if you had to set up a tablet to
be a remote display (as opposed to having it run a native GUI app),
what components might you choose. The machine that should have a
tablet used this was will be running openSUSE with KDE as the desktop.

I have seen such setups fairly recently on agricultural equipment. Both
as displays, and for controlling and monitoring. During operation, the
tablet is in the drivers compartment, presumably for monitoring. When
idle, the driver can access controls and such via the tablet, and when
done, he can send of an activity report to the farmer directly. I have
seen this on a bale press and on a slurry pump. I am assuming simply a
bespoke application on an otherwise standard tablet. (Samsung, not
Apple). Not quite just "a display", but I thought I would chip in.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.1°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.