Re: [opensuse] Re: Is 40 dropped packets out of 300,000 high? This is wired cat5 LAN
On 06/01/2017 09:11 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
That would be a big job, as much equipment doesn't support jumbo
frames. First, you'd have to enable jumbo frames on the ISPs network
and trunks, then get everyone else to move to it. As long as there
are routers between networks, that's not a big problem, but all
devices on a
network have to be able to support it. I do know many of the research
networks support jumbo frames.
Perhaps more importantly - consumer level network interfaces.

Yep, NICs, switches and routers. Also, I don't think we'll ever see
full 9000 byte frames on WiFi, as it maxes out around 1800, IIRC.

BTW, back in the late '90s, when I worked at IBM, I set my MTU to about
4K, IIRC, on the token ring network. Of course the other end might be
set lower.