Re: [opensuse] Re: Is 40 dropped packets out of 300,000 high? This is wired cat5 LAN
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2017 15:11:51 +0200
James Knott wrote:

On 06/01/2017 08:02 AM, L A Walsh wrote:
Which is non-existent on switched networks these days, so
I wonder why they don't increase those frames on the internet. Seems
like it would really benefit streaming media and
downloads -- the big traffic users on the net. My internet
is still running @ 1500 MTU's. My local networks could probably
benefit with, at least 128K-256K sizes.

That would be a big job, as much equipment doesn't support jumbo
frames. First, you'd have to enable jumbo frames on the ISPs network
and trunks, then get everyone else to move to it. As long as there
are routers between networks, that's not a big problem, but all
devices on a
network have to be able to support it. I do know many of the research
networks support jumbo frames.

Perhaps more importantly - consumer level network interfaces.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (24.3°C)