Re: [opensuse] zypper dist-upgrade to 42.2 (was: troubleshooting 13.2 USB issues)
Felix Miata composed on 2016-12-06 00:45 (UTC-0500):

Greg Freemyer composed on 2016-12-05 00:17 (UTC-0500):

My thought is to treat 13.2 as a failed update, and go straight to Leap
42.1 now.

Any recommendations pro/con that approach.

FWIW, on an Intel gfx machine (Dell Optiplex 780; Eagle Lake) machine I just
zypper dup'd from 13.2 to 42.2 with near perfect success. It's a multiboot
machine, like most here, and on remembering to change the fstabs and
bootloader menus for all installed systems on account of changing the volume
label on the 42.2 filesystem from 13.2 to 42.2, I forgot to do one - the
fstab on the 42.2 filesystem, so I had to do a "repair" boot before getting
it to boot with / mounted rw.

It was not an engirely direct upgrade. I started by purging KDE4 and whatever
KF5 it included. When upgrade was done, I installed TDE 14.0.4.

Only thing I'm not happy with is the master volume level increased
significantly, causing much distortion as TDE's login sound plays. Dialing it
back causes the other desktop sound volumes to be too low.

I just got done doing another, on host gx620, an older Optiplex, also with Intel gfx, except directly from 13.1 to 42.2. No fault found other than sound
level too high again.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/