Re: [opensuse] copying rip'ed CD music to USB stick with vfat
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2016 16:54:19 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Here is what I would like to do -

pop in a CD, crank up k3b, rip the contents into a folder
<name-of-cd>, copy that folder to the usb stick (already mounted).

Well, the trick is to use a ripper program that has as an option
something like "sanitize file names for MsDos".

I don't use k3b. I use "audex", which is also a KDE program.

That seems to do the trick, but it appears (I have not actually timed
it) to be somewhat slower than k3b. It seems to just turn unsupported
vfat charcters into underscores "_", right ?

Once the file was created already, you need a program to modify the
names. I have no experience with "detox" which jdd mentions, sounds
interesting.

If it's only a matter of vfat not supporting certain characters, it's
hardly a big deal to write a script with tr and some rename commands.

I'm running audex on my leap422 laptop, it really seems to be sloooooow.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (3.4°C)