Re: [opensuse] System slowdowns
On 2016-10-11 03:57, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
On 10/10/2016 5:45 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Thanks Anton, Carlos for your thoughts on file systems. I have used Yast
to partition a new drive and laid it out in the same way as the drive
that was showing some signs of failing. I noted that for partitions on
which one wants to install an OS, it suggests using BtrFS and for data
is suggests using XFS, so that is what I chose. (2 primary partitions
with BtrFS for future usage, and 4 partitions with XFS for everything
else.)

IMO, you should not format as btrfs till the moment of installation,
because the installation prepares it in a particular way, and a
different version may do it differently. Also you have to remember that
btrfs partitions have to be much bigger than other types. IMO, at least
a hundred gigs.

Then I used rsync (nice tool BTW, I like the fact that it is easy
to preserve all the file attributes as well, and that it is really
fast!) to copy all the files from each of the partitions on the old
drive to the new one. I am not sure I want to remove the old drive from
my system yet as I like to keep the option to drop back to a previous OS
in the event that something else fails, and I don't think my older OS's
will understand these new file systems that I am now using. So I will
just remove the mount points for those old partitions from my openSuSE42.1.

Of note also, I noticed that Yast's Partitioner does not provide the
option to create Reiser filesystems.

True.

On the downside however, I have not seen any improvement in my heavy CPU
usage problem yet. :-( Too tired to do anything more tonight but will
do some more testing tomorrow and see if using Dolphin to
copy/move/delete files on the new drive still drives the CPU usage up to
100%...

Maybe disconnect the old drive temporarily, for verification.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)