Re: [opensuse] System slowdowns
On 2016-10-09 22:21, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
On 10/9/2016 10:42 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Of interest also is doing file moves or deletes from the command line,
i.e. using the mv, rm, and rmdir commands does not cause this high CPU
usage to occur and those commands complete in a reasonable amount of
time.
What filesystem?

Oh wow! Interesting question! I just took a look, and well this system
has been an evolution since the days of SuSE 10.0. So apparently I have
multiple file system types in play. I guess the best way to answer your
question is to simply show the output from parted -l

Well, I see you are not using btrfs, and no filesystem is close to 90% full. It
is not the problem.
Maybe a corrupted filesystem, so check them all.

To show disks, I like the output of this command:

lsblk --output
NAME,KNAME,RA,RM,RO,SIZE,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,PARTLABEL,MOUNTPOINT,UUID,PARTUUID,WWN,MODEL,ALIGNMENT

I have never taken the time to figure out what file system type is best
or what are the pros and cons of each. So usually just gone with
defaults when installing a new OS. I wonder if I should normalize all
these, if so which file system to choose, and how would one go about
doing so. Could this be the issue, having multiple file system types
mounted at the same time is what is causing my system to slow down?

No, I also have several types in use.

I would organize in a tree, so as to not have many things hanging from the
root, but that aesthetic and me.

/other/SuSE11.4
/other/SuSE12.3
/other/other distro

/data/something
/data/another

etc.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >