Re: [opensuse] System slowdowns
On 10/09/2016 02:18 PM, John Andersen wrote:

But I suppose it's still possible a horribly corrupted file system could be
at fault, but if you never see errors that seems unlikely.

"Horribly corrupted"?
Surely boot runs a FSCK occasionally?

You can force fsck at boot time by passing fsck.mode=force, as a kernel
parameter. This will check *every* filesystem you have on the machine.

If you are running systemd, as we all are now, with up-to-date systems, then
setting the fsck pass number in /etc/fastab (that's the sixth column) greater
than 0 will force a check at boot every time.

Of course you can force a FSCK on the next boot or even run the FSCK manually
while in maintenance mode.

Marc, are you sure some FS isn't 'almost full'?
That can cause thrashing of the allocation algorithms or, with b-tree file
systems (such as the installation defaults of BtrFS and XFS or ext4) relocation
thrashing. BTDT.