Re: [opensuse] System slowdowns
On 10/9/2016 11:18 AM, John Andersen wrote:

Thanks John for the thought, I tried adding the iomem=relaxed option to

the kernel options using the Yast Boot Loader tool, rebooted, and still

no joy...

In my fooling around with this issue, I have come across something that

definitely triggers high CPU usage, and could be a clue. Although I
cannot definitively say this is the smoking gun because I see high
system CPU usage going on regardless of whether I do this or not -

There is something very wrong going on when I use Dolphin to move stuff

to the trash "Recycle Bin" (or sometimes it appears when I use Dolphin
to simply move files from one location to another, i.e. drag and drop)
and/or when I tell Dolphin to empty the trash. Doing so kicks off the
100% CPU usage and I hear the processor cooling fans kick into high
speed. These tasks can take hours or even days to complete (if ever,
some are still going on for over a week now. When I reboot the system,
these tasks are not initially restarted, but if I do something like
open
the Recycle Bin to see if the files are still in it (after I told
Dolphin to empty the trash) then these processes again kick off and the

CPU usage goes up to 100%. The two (or more) spawned processes of
interest are file.so and trash.so. However, unlike my original report
and observations, these processes do report very high CPU usage also in

the Process Table tab of KSystemGuard, top, atop, and htop so I am not
100% certain that this is related to the issue I reported - about
something hidden is causing high CPU usage.

Of interest also is doing file moves or deletes from the command line,
i.e. using the mv, rm, and rmdir commands does not cause this high CPU
usage to occur and those commands complete in a reasonable amount of
time.

Marc...

Still sounds like a disk hardware problem to me. Trash is limited to some
percentage of disk , and there shouldn't be any reason that delete operation
would take that much time.

But I suppose it's still possible a horribly corrupted file system could be at
fault, but if you never see errors that seems unlikely.

Is it still slow when you unplug / shut down your network connections
(physically unplug the cat5) ?

Yeah John, I am kinda thinking you are right, something fishy with the file system or disk drives. Carlo's question seems to imply he is also thinking in that direction. I tried to dd clone the one drive that has reported errors and that failed apparently with a lot of disk read errors. So I need to figure out a way to copy everything from that drive to a new one and perhaps change the file system type of the partitions to a better choice. So first question I have is what file system should I choose and if I want to copy everything from the old drive with a partition using a file system of one type, to a new drive with a partition using a different type of a file system, how best to do so? Doesn't look like dd would be a good choice of a tool to use....

Also, I am going to want to preserve the MBR in the process.

Thanks again for your thoughts and assistance... Marc...

--
"The Truth is out there" - Spooky