Re: [opensuse] This is FOSS. Expect beta
On 10/07/2016 04:21 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 10/07/2016 02:15 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
The difference is that it is not normal that they release to the general
public an unfinished or beta product, which is what has been done here
several times, like with kde4.

Oh, you think so, do you?
"Several time", eh?

Over the years almost everything went though that.
It's what FOSS is about.

You weren't around for the pre- 0.99 days, then?
You weren't around when the ext FS was 'experimental'?
You weren't around when the whole IP networking stack was 'experimental' and
only a subset worked.
You weren't around when SAMBA was incomplete and experimental and only a subset
worked and was unstable at that.

Cue Mary Hopkins singing "Those were the days".
At the time, yes, it was frustrating and "we thought they'd never end", the
bugs, the patches, the arguments. But they did.

Ah yes, those were the days indeed. Installing from floppies (lots of floppies). Having to edit file after file to setup networking. Having to run a program (I forget the name) to configure "X", and heaven forbid if you answered on the the 20 some choices wrong and had to start over.
My first linux version was from Slackware, I believe on something like 15 3.5" floppies.

--
Ken
linux since 1994