Re: [opensuse] Re: interesting reading about systemd
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 08:10:37 +0200
On 6 October 2016 at 23:37, Linda Walsh <suse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Richard Brown wrote:

The only choices that matter in opeSUSE are the choices which the
openSUSE community bothers to put together.

---
First problem -- don't say it is the 'community' -- it's
the "board" that makes the directions and allows those who wish
to help that direction to work on creating the next distro.

The community, OTOH, submitted compatibility patches for
various things (before systemd) in the past that were rejected, since
the board choice was to disable the choice that could have been supported
w/the patch. That story has been played again and again.

Linda,

Your above statement is absolutely unadulterated unquestionable
baseless nonsense

The Board's role is to provide guidance and decision making assistance
when necessary, not to declare or force contributors to do anything.

The openSUSE Board is strict and strong believers in the principle of
"Those Who Do, Decide", and it is a simple fact that in openSUSE
something only gets done because someone (a contributor or a group of
contributors) decides and then actually does the actual work.

The only role the openSUSE Board plays in technical decision making
processes is when a matter is escalated to us from those contributors

This might be because the contributors in question want a second
opinion, which we're happy to share

More importantly, the Board is the escalation point when two members
or groups of the community have both decided to 'do' something which
conflicts with each other

Resolving these "community deadlocks" is one of the most important
roles of the Board and the most likely opportunities where the board
can directly influence the technical direction of the Project.

However, in keeping with our Guiding Principles, the Board's first
priority is ALWAYS to get those conflicted developers to communicate
to each other and the Board works very hard to encourage and foster a
compromise that satisfies all involved parties.

It is only as an absolute last resort that "The Board" would make a
decision to effectively overrule the decisions of the "community" and
in that case it would be to support a different decision also made by
the "community"

Therefore, you cannot argue that "The Board" makes those decisions.
The openSUSE contributors decide the direction of this project. Full
stop.

If the openSUSE community worked together to support sysvinit as well
as systemd, sure, I'd support that.

---
you might, but the board wouldn't.

Ahem, I am 1/6 of the Board, but to clarify let me rephrase what I said

"If the openSUSE community worked together to support sysvinit as well
as systemd, sure, I would support that, and I can guarantee based on
my experience from being a Board member for many years now, and an
openSUSE contributor for many more, that the openSUSE Board would also
support it, just as they support any contributors working on anything
which 'scratches an itch' the openSUSE Project can help solve"

That said, I might never actually USE sysvinit again, wouldn't
recommend the fruits of their labour to others, and I'd think it would
be a monumental waste of time for everyone involved, but if they are
going to do all the work required to make it work, then who the heck
am I to stop them?

Richard Brown
openSUSE Chairman