Re: [opensuse] test archives [Reliable way to backup hard drive before clean install]
Le 05/10/2016 à 13:42, Carlos E. R. a écrit :
On 2016-10-05 12:13, Anton Aylward wrote:
You seem to miss out on that "one bit" being correctable by CRC

No if the only thing you have got is the tgz archive. Again, this
problem is documented.

not completely true

try...

I have a collection of books in epub form, easy source for testing (do not extract in the same folder!!)

simply with dolphin, right clic "compress"... change digit with ghex

compress in tar.gz: if I change one digit (4 bits, an hex number) and save, the file open perfectly (not verified if the one file affected is readable). If I remove one hex number, the archive can no more be opened with ark. So the length of the file is the culprit

compress as zip file: the archive opens in the two situations above

jdd