Re: [opensuse] System slowdowns

On 03/10/2016 13:22, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2016-10-03 07:55, Dave Plater wrote:

Try using atop, I use it to monitor build processes. It's not in the
main distribution, I branched it from server:montoring in obs. You can
find it via one click install or
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/plater/Leap_42.2 .
And run it in a terminal after doing "su -".

Anyway, I don't see why "top" would not display the process using most
of the cpu, though, even if used as user. Unless not sorting by default
by cpu power.

I have several sata cables and one that actually works in my present box. Two identical sata drives, used for swap at one time, developed unfixable bad sectors. I had to use hdparm to recover them. The disks continually give ata reset messages in "sudo journalctl -f" tailed log and slow the system down noticably. I created a swap file for now and my system is fine until I trigger a memory swap to disk. Go and buy a new sata cable and "smartctl -t long /sd?"" if it completes without error you can rule out disk hardware 90% of the time.
Dave P