Re: [opensuse] Re: building smartmontools
On 2016-10-04 14:42, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2016-10-04 14:05, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

initio

Initio is mentioned on the smartmontools page, it supports SATA
pass-through:

Try adding "-d sat,12" or "-d sat,16" to your command.

I'll try later, now the enclosures are connected to my desktop machine
via their eSATA plug. Yes, they are both eSATA and USB, which coincides
with what you say above. I'm running a long smart test on them (via eSATA).

Wow! It works with both. :-o
Even with the original smartctl version.

Now I need help with something else. I need to replace the tools with the
version I built, because at least one test (-H) fails with one of the disks,
sdb. My problem is here:

./configure
smartmontools-6.5 configuration:
host operating system: i686-pc-linux-gnu
C++ compiler: g++
C compiler: gcc
preprocessor flags:
C++ compiler flags: -g -O2 -Wall -W
C compiler flags: -g -O2
linker flags:
OS specific modules: os_linux.o cciss.o dev_areca.o
binary install path: /usr/local/sbin
man page install path: /usr/local/share/man
doc file install path: /usr/local/share/doc/smartmontools
examples install path: /usr/local/share/doc/smartmontools/examplescripts
drive database file: /usr/local/share/smartmontools/drivedb.h
database update script: /usr/local/sbin/update-smart-drivedb
download tools: curl wget lynx svn
local drive database: /usr/local/etc/smart_drivedb.h
smartd config file: /usr/local/etc/smartd.conf
smartd warning script: /usr/local/etc/smartd_warning.sh
smartd plugin path: /usr/local/etc/smartd_warning.d
smartd initd script: /usr/local/etc/init.d/smartd.initd
smartd save files: [disabled]
smartd attribute logs: [disabled]
libcap-ng support: no
SELinux support: no
NVMe DEVICESCAN: no

I have to change the destination to /sbin and /etc.
I try "./configure --prefix=/" and I get:

binary install path: //sbin
man page install path: //share/man <==
doc file install path: //share/doc/smartmontools
examples install path: //share/doc/smartmontools/examplescripts
drive database file: //share/smartmontools/drivedb.h
database update script: //sbin/update-smart-drivedb
download tools: curl wget lynx svn
local drive database: //etc/smart_drivedb.h
smartd config file: //etc/smartd.conf
smartd warning script: //etc/smartd_warning.sh
smartd plugin path: //etc/smartd_warning.d

which is not correct. I don't see what prefix to use to get the correct path
for the binaries and the config, one gets wrong.

./configure --prefix=/usr
binary install path: /usr/sbin
man page install path: /usr/share/man
doc file install path: /usr/share/doc/smartmontools
examples install path: /usr/share/doc/smartmontools/examplescripts
drive database file: /usr/share/smartmontools/drivedb.h
database update script: /usr/sbin/update-smart-drivedb
download tools: curl wget lynx svn
local drive database: /usr/etc/smart_drivedb.h
smartd config file: /usr/etc/smartd.conf
smartd warning script: /usr/etc/smartd_warning.sh
smartd plugin path: /usr/etc/smartd_warning.d
smartd initd script: /usr/etc/init.d/smartd.initd

How is it done? I always have built for /usr/local, but not this time, and I'm
stuck.

Fine tuning of the installation directories:
--bindir=DIR user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
--sbindir=DIR system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
--libexecdir=DIR program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
--sysconfdir=DIR read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
--sharedstatedir=DIR modifiable architecture-independent data [PREFIX/com]
--localstatedir=DIR modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
--libdir=DIR object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
--includedir=DIR C header files [PREFIX/include]
--oldincludedir=DIR C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
--datarootdir=DIR read-only arch.-independent data root [PREFIX/share]
--datadir=DIR read-only architecture-independent data [DATAROOTDIR]
--infodir=DIR info documentation [DATAROOTDIR/info]
--localedir=DIR locale-dependent data [DATAROOTDIR/locale]
--mandir=DIR man documentation [DATAROOTDIR/man]
--docdir=DIR documentation root [DATAROOTDIR/doc/smartmontools]
--htmldir=DIR html documentation [DOCDIR]
--dvidir=DIR dvi documentation [DOCDIR]
--pdfdir=DIR pdf documentation [DOCDIR]
--psdir=DIR ps documentation [DOCDIR]

It seems I may have to tune almost each single path, and that doesn't seem
correct to me. :-?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >