Re: [opensuse] Reliable way to backup hard drive before clean install
Le 04/10/2016 à 14:39, Carlos E. R. a écrit :

I made a review of several compressors, none is good enough. Almost none
have error recovery.

they should have:

http://www.7-zip.org/recover.html

at least the files out of the damaged part should be recoverable

Yes, that is true. Well, floppies were never meant for long-term
storage, although I'm sure I still have some 5" up in the attic.

The original floppies sold in the 80's do last. Those made by the end of
the 90's and later are terrible. Impossible to get one that lasts a
month without an error. A box of ten has some that error out on format.

anyway, most people do not have floppy reader. or interface to make it work.

one can still buy an usb 3.5 floppy, but 5" or 8"

so, yes, when trying to make long term archives (one can't anymore speak of backup) have to think of the medium

for example, flash disks are known to have a short life (including ssd), I speak of time life, not number of cycles. Hard drives have good life expectancy but can dye unexpectedly.

once it was said than archive medium have to be updated at a bare minimum every 5 years. It's pretty easy as in this time price drop and size grow.

one can find dvd or BD said to be worth 1000 years. take appointment in 3000 to know :-))

https://www.nierle.com/en/article/32558/Verbatim_M-DISC_Blu-ray_BD-R_25_GB_-_135_min,_4x,_Full_printable,_10_pieces_in_cakebox.html

jdd