Re: [opensuse] openSUSE LTS [Was: interesting reading about systemd]
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 16:14:25 +0200
On 3 October 2016 at 14:48, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2016-10-03 10:56, Richard Brown wrote:
On 3 October 2016 at 10:09, Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I like the LTS approach that uBuntu

uses(just don't care for uBuntu). If we had something like that on
openSUSE(kinda like SLE but more open) I'd probably use it. Heck, I
think my server is still running 12.3.......

It's called openSUSE Leap

No. It is Evergreen, not Leap. Leap is not an LTS.
An Evergreen is ending soon, so we no longer will have an LTS.

You missed something. Leap is LTS, since it will have support for as long as
the "connected" SUSE+SP versions.

https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime

«Each Leap Major Release (eg. 42.x) is expected to be supported for at
least 36 months, until the next major version of Leap is available (eg.
43.

A Leap Minor Release (eg. 42.1, 42.2, etc) is expected to be released
annually, and users are expected to upgrade to the latest minor release
within 6 months of its availability, leading to a support life cycle of
18 months »

So, Leap 42.1 will stay for 18 months, 42.2 another 18 months... If I
have 42.1 I have to upgrade to 42.2 in a year and a bit. I can not stay
with 42.1 for two or three years.

I missed nothing, there is no LTS.

So no, I don't buy that the major release, 42 stays longer. I still have
to do system upgrades, 3 times in the period. We do not have service packs.

SLE Service packs are released once per year, and can be installed
using two mechanisms, an online update using tools like zypper and an
offline mechanism booting to the Service Pack Installation media

The commitment from SUSE is that a SLE Service Pack is easy to upgrade
to with minimal changes to expected workflows. Besides that a SLE
service pack can include significant changes to the operating system,
such as kernel, GNOME and systemd upgrades.

openSUSE Leap Minor releases are released once per year, and can be
installed using two mechanisms, an online update using tools like
zypper and an offline mechanism booting to the Minor Release
Installation Media

The commitment from openSUSE is that a Leap Minor Release is easy to
upgrade to with minimal changes to expected workflows. Besides that an
openSUSE Leap Minor Release can include significant changes to the
operating system, such as Kernel, GNOME, and systemd upgrades.

Have I made my point, or would you like to continue splitting hairs?

openSUSE Leap is an LTS release.