Re: [opensuse] Reliable way to backup hard drive before clean install
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 14:03:27 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-10-04 11:47, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-10-04 08:14, Per Jessen wrote:
John Andersen wrote:

On 10/03/2016 11:59 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Reason: a few (or
one) byte error makes the tar unrecoverable.

In reality, Carlos, exactly how many of these have failed for you?

Yes, I have to wonder that too.

It is rare, but it is documented. Media failures are possible, and
if one happens in the middle of a tar.gz you lose it completely.

Sure, but every archiving tool is vulnerable to media and network
failures, tar no more so than any other.

Not tar. The problem is gz.

Oh? Well, then use another compressor. xz is good.

In those years, I've had a grand total of ZERO tar.gz archives
fail.

Ditto.

How many in floppies?

Floppies??

LOL. Yes, the worst media I can think of where I stored archives some
time ago, and where media error in later years were frequent.

Yes, that is true. Well, floppies were never meant for long-term
storage, although I'm sure I still have some 5" up in the attic.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.3°C)