Re: [opensuse] Reliable way to backup hard drive before clean install
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 19:02:51 +0200
Per Jessen wrote:

Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:

I am planning on a clean install (going from 13.1 to 42.2 Beta) on
the
root partition, leaving the home partition alone. I'm not doing
complete backups because of limited space on the backup drive. I've
room for a single full backup, both partitions. What is a reliable
way?

"cp -a / /media/LinuxBackup/full" is what occurs to me. Is there a
better way?

tar czvf /media/LinuxBackup/full.tar.gz <all but mount points>

42.2 is looking very solid at the moment. If I were you, I would
backup /home, /var, /etc and /usr/local, nuke the rest, then reinstall.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.2°C)