Re: [opensuse] System slowdowns
On October 3, 2016 4:22:55 AM PDT, "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On 2016-10-03 07:55, Dave Plater wrote:

Try using atop, I use it to monitor build processes. It's not in the
main distribution, I branched it from server:montoring in obs. You
can
find it via one click install or
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/plater/Leap_42.2 .

And run it in a terminal after doing "su -".

Anyway, I don't see why "top" would not display the process using most
of the cpu, though, even if used as user. Unless not sorting by default
by cpu power.

Still, why is George getting conflicting readings from Ksystemguard?

Could it be that it is being blocked by whatever is using all the resources,
such that it never actually sees the culprit in the list? Stuff happening in
the kernel never shows up in top or Ksystemguard.

I would ask if the disk drive light was on solid during the slow down.

A failing drive sometimes acts like a super busy system, but doesn't show up in
top.

Maybe it's Time to run some S.M.A.R.T. commands against the disk, and if it has
exhausted all of its spare tracks and blocks get it replaced.