Re: [opensuse] interesting reading about systemd
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 15:16:15 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

One that is hard to reproduce: during halt, network was
disconnected, then the process decided to umount an nfs mount.
Obviously, it could not, and got stuck. On the end, I had to hit the
power button.

Expressed this way it is hardly systemd related at all. All UNIX
systems I have been working with would come to a hard stop in this
case (depending on exact NFS mount options) including Solaris which
is created by the same company that invented NFS in the first place

I have only experienced it with systemd. Notice that I'm not talking
about a "system" share, like would be "/usr", but a plain data
partition that can be umounted early, as soon as user tasks have died.

The obvious solution is don't kill network before network shares and
other network services exit...

On my test Leap42 desktop(s) I have two NFS shares. Depending on what
I'm working on, they're not rebooted that often, but I've not seen the
problem your describe yet. I guess the nfs unmount happens at the
right time, somehow.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.4°C)