[opensuse] openSUSE LTS [Was: interesting reading about systemd]
On 2016-10-03 14:41, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:

On 2016-10-03 10:56, Richard Brown wrote:
On 3 October 2016 at 10:09, Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I like the LTS approach that uBuntu

uses(just don't care for uBuntu). If we had something like that on
openSUSE(kinda like SLE but more open) I'd probably use it. Heck, I
think my server is still running 12.3.......

It's called openSUSE Leap

No. It is Evergreen, not Leap. Leap is not an LTS.
An Evergreen is ending soon, so we no longer will have an LTS.

You missed something. Leap is LTS, since it will have support for as long as
the "connected" SUSE+SP versions.

https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime

«Each Leap Major Release (eg. 42.x) is expected to be supported for at
least 36 months, until the next major version of Leap is available (eg.
43.0)

A Leap Minor Release (eg. 42.1, 42.2, etc) is expected to be released
annually, and users are expected to upgrade to the latest minor release
within 6 months of its availability, leading to a support life cycle of
18 months »

So, Leap 42.1 will stay for 18 months, 42.2 another 18 months... If I
have 42.1 I have to upgrade to 42.2 in a year and a bit. I can not stay
with 42.1 for two or three years.

I missed nothing, there is no LTS.

So no, I don't buy that the major release, 42 stays longer. I still have
to do system upgrades, 3 times in the period. We do not have service packs.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)