Re: [opensuse] interesting reading about systemd
On 10/03/2016 04:09 AM, Larry Stotler wrote:
I'm not saying systemd is all bad or that it doesn't make things
better for a lot of people. My point is that it's trying to take over
the whole ecosystem, which isn't what it was presented to folks as
originally. First it was an init replacement, then they kept adding
in all these other services and it's becoming a ogre in the corner.
Why should a desktop (GNOME) require an init system as a dependency?

I think, Larry, that you have failed to read Richard's post.
Or perhaps not really understood what he was saying. Not, I hope CNS[1].

He was quite specific about why systemd monitors ALL process. The example he
gave of Apache is a goo one.

Saying "'X' requires an init system as a dependency" for whatever value of 'X'
gets thing backwards. For 'X' to run there must be an environment for it to run
in and that has to be set up and be stable. 'X' may require other things beside
libraries such as IO channels, network services such as DNS, clocks and counters
and more.

More to the point, focusing on the 'X' misses the point. The computer, the
processes on it, its position and environment and context are there to do things
for humans. Richard hints at some of the possibilities there, ensuring restart,
ensuring a context is set up that the human can use the programs safely and
securely.

One definition of security from the days before the term 'cyber' became
fashionable was that the computer/program/process does what you expect, only
what you expect without unexpected side effects or problems. Systemd, as
Richard points out intrinsically facilitates that. And unlike sysv-init, it
plays well with SELinux :-)

[1] CNS - "Compulsive Narrative Syndrome", a cognitive, neurological condition
that produces an inability to process pattern-anomalous data. Common in
zealots, be they religious, political or even just supporters of a particular
sports team or brand of technology.