Re: [opensuse] what does zypper's type "application" mean and how do I find details about it?

On 30/08/2016 17:57, mararm wrote:
Hello,

on installing some (unrelated) package zypper just told me

»
The following application is going to be REMOVED:
"System Tray"
«

Getting curious, I 'zypper se "System Tray"'ed and it came up with

»
S | Name | Summary | Type
--+-------------+---------+------------
i | System Tray | | application
«

Wanting to know what this might be, I 'zypper info "System Tray"'ed, just to be told
»
package 'System Tray' not found.
There would be 1 match for 'application:System Tray'.
«

Ok, trying that ...

»
$ zypper info "application:System Tray"

Information for application System Tray:
Info for type 'application' not implemented.
«

Huh?

Searching in yast did not yield anything useful either.

So two questions:
- What does zypper mean by this "application" type?
- What is this "System Tray" application and how am I supposed to find out?

Regards
mararm
This is formed from the package's desktop and application data files and is part of a new system, appstream data from freedesktop.org:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Distributions/AppStream/
It is only partially supported by the installation system atm afaik. It helps you to find applications and also to associate files with those applications.
Regards
Dave P