Re: [opensuse] A puzzle for the weekend
On 08/12/2016 09:02 PM, Ruediger Meier wrote:

It's on my TODO since years to find something better than .local but as
long as I blacklist any avahi/mDNS, stuff it works.

As regular readers will entice, I won my own domian.
My solution to the above is to have a subdomain "HOME." within that for which my
local machine is the authority.

Dnsmasq reading of the /etc/hosts file makes that pretty straight forward

So I can have <machine-name>.HOME.<my-private-domain> entries in /etc/hosts and
all works out OK.

I realise that because I have static addresses for the items on my home LAN we
promptly get back into the argument about static addresses vs DHCP assigned
addreses. With Dnsmasq this isn't so significant, but as I have it there is no
need to run a DHCP server for such a trivial group.

YMMV. Go pizz on someone else's wall.