Re: [opensuse] A puzzle for the weekend
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 10:00:16 +0200
Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:

Quoting Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
I have a cron job running every 20 minutes monitoring a temperature
sensor for minor changes in trend up/down. This has been running for
a few months.

Today at 1521 I got a warning that the trend dad changed to
slightly upward. The next one failed on a DNS issue.

The puzzle:

wget -nd http://office20.local.net:4444/--slope--/1.2.3.4/0
--2016-08-12 20:38:24--
http://office20.local.net:4444/--slope--/1.2.3.4/0 Resolving
office20.local.net (office20.local.net)... failed: Name or service
not known. wget: unable to resolve host address ‘office20.local.net’

So clearly "office20.local.net" does not resolve. Except:

and on my machine, see below. local.net is a real domain name, so how
it resolves will be highly implementation dependent. IIRC, Postfix
always goes directly to DNS, ignoring /etc/hosts.

How the resolver behaves depends on /etc/nsswitch.conf.

I use .local for my LAN with 192.168.x.x addresses. So far it hasn't
bit me. At the moment, away from my home network, .local does not
resolve. IIRC, there is a TLD that is reserved for private networks,
maybe .localdomain?

I think '.site' used to be, but that was turned into a public TLD too.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.2°C)