Re: [opensuse] A puzzle for the weekend
On Friday 12 August 2016, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
Quoting Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
I have a cron job running every 20 minutes monitoring a temperature
sensor for minor changes in trend up/down. This has been running
for a few months.

Today at 1521 I got a warning that the trend dad changed to
slightly upward. The next one failed on a DNS issue.

The puzzle:

wget -nd http://office20.local.net:4444/--slope--/1.2.3.4/0
--2016-08-12 20:38:24--
http://office20.local.net:4444/--slope--/1.2.3.4/0 Resolving
office20.local.net (office20.local.net)... failed: Name or service
not known. wget: unable to resolve host address
‘office20.local.net’

So clearly "office20.local.net" does not resolve. Except:

and on my machine, see below. local.net is a real domain name, so
how it resolves will be highly implementation dependent. IIRC,
Postfix always goes directly to DNS, ignoring /etc/hosts. I use
.local for my LAN with 192.168.x.x addresses. So far it hasn't bit
me.

I'm also using .local since years but I've noticed already that it will
bite you if mDNS, avahi, etc. is involved. .local is very very special
and maybe the worst domain you could use for local DNS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.local

It's on my TODO since years to find something better than .local but as
long as I blacklist any avahi/mDNS, stuff it works.

BTW suse default was .site for a long time but it's also an existing
toplevel domain nowadays.

cu,
Rudi

At the moment, away from my home network, .local does not
resolve. IIRC, there is a TLD that is reserved for private networks,
maybe .localdomain?

HTH,
Jeffrey

$ dig local.net

; <<>> DiG 9.9.4-rpz2.13269.14-P2 <<>> local.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;local.net. IN A