Re: [opensuse] A puzzle for the weekend
Quoting IEEE alias <jeff.taylor@xxxxxxxx>:
Quoting Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
I have a cron job running every 20 minutes monitoring a temperature
sensor for minor changes in trend up/down. This has been running for a
few months.

Today at 1521 I got a warning that the trend dad changed to
slightly upward. The next one failed on a DNS issue.

The puzzle:

wget -nd http://office20.local.net:4444/--slope--/1.2.3.4/0
--2016-08-12 20:38:24-- http://office20.local.net:4444/--slope--/1.2.3.4/0
Resolving office20.local.net (office20.local.net)... failed: Name or
service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address ‘office20.local.net’

So clearly "office20.local.net" does not resolve. Except:

and on my machine, see below. local.net is a real domain name, so how it
resolves will be highly implementation dependent. IIRC, Postfix always goes
directly to DNS, ignoring /etc/hosts. I use .local for my LAN with
192.168.x.x addresses. So far it hasn't bit me. At the moment, away from my
home network, .local does not resolve. IIRC, there is a TLD that is reserved
for private networks, maybe .localdomain?

[snip]

See https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chapin-rfc2606bis-00

It reserves: .local, .localdomain, .domain, .lan, .home, .host, .corp.

However, apparently Apple networks reserve .local for a non-conforming use. I
use .lan (i.e. /etc/HOSTS is viajero.bearhouse.lan on this laptop).

HTH,
Jeffrey