Re: [opensuse] Updating Tumbleweed
Am 12.08.2016 um 14:11 schrieb Ken Schneider:
On 08/11/2016 04:52 PM, James Knott wrote:
On 08/11/2016 04:43 PM, A den Oudsten wrote:
I have installed Tumbleweed with the 20160611 snapshot.

Tumbling Tumbleweeds
https://www.google.ca/search?q=tumbling+tumbleweed&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=T-SsV9njAcXyUI3fhsgL
;-)

There is no need to re-install, simply make sure that the proper repos
are configured and use 'zypper dup' to upgrade. When you go from one
version of TW to a newer version you are actually doing a "distribution
upgrade".

Not this discussion again, please. This is not longer true. It was true
when Tumbleweed was based on a "static" release, but it isn't needed any
longer since TW became a real rolling distribution. You need "zypper
dup" only when upgrading from another version of openSUSE to Tumbleweed,
as stated explicitly on
<https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed_upgrade>. The recommended
way to install TW can be read on
<https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed_installation>.

After installation of Tumbleweed and activating the repositories, a
simple "zypper up" should suffice. It does for my installations. "zypper
dup" will pull in packages from different repositories, only depending
on their version number, and may introduce instabilities or lead to a
lot of unfulfillable dependencies, which you have to resolve manually.
So there is rarely any need to use it.

Werner