Re: [opensuse] switching to gnome, a question
On 08/07/2016 11:56 PM, George from the tribe wrote:
There, however, some features that I miss with KDE that I haven't
figured out yet in Gnome. Here is one. In KDE, I could switch between
open windows using alt-tab. In KDE, alt-tab switches between open
applications, but not between windows within an application, like this
email I am typing and the main thunderbird screen. I tried hitting the
windows key and tab also, but it does the same thing as alt-tab.

I don't know why KDE hangs on you; it doesn't hang for me.
That being said, my experimentation with video players (see other
thread) is producing some hangs, but KDE itself, not. However I'm on
13.1/13.2 not LEAP)

KDE is configurable.
The action for any and all ctls and alt and "meta" (the window key, the
menu key, the 12 extra keys on my "multi-media keyboard from IBM") are
all configurable. Some are configurable within applications, some take
global priority.

Just about everything about configuring KDE is under 'systemsettings'.

parerie
-> Desktop Effects

You are then presented with a number of control modules that are plugins
and the option of downloading more. many of these are pure eye-candy,
like the wobbly screen and the screen breakup, but there are a couple
that relate to workstpace, window and application selection.

One I saw at a Mozilla-organized FOSS meetup a few years ago impressed
me, it was the 3-d rotating polygon of the windows. "Desktop cube
animation" under "General"

However, relevant to your question, there are a number of modules and
option that appear under "All Effects" realted to tab and windowkey
(with and without ctl and alt) behaviour.

Scroll down to "Window management" and you will see some modules.
They offer a variety of ways to present and change the windows and
applications.

Some of these are bound to specific key combinations if you enable them
so that there is no conflict.

I very STRONGLY suggest that you spend some time experimenting with
these. I found options that I liked, preferred to what I thought I
wanted when I started. Some of the modules are quite imaginative and
even impressed a conservative old fart Greybeard like myself. its this
imagination and attitude towards innovation that has held me to KDE
though its various growing pains.

You will also want to investigate

systemsettings
-> Window behaviour
-> Task Switcher

Well maybe you want to try that first :-)
it makes the point that window switching and task/application switching
are bound to a different set of keys, in fact keys that you have not
considered.

However, once again, this being KDE, those keys are configurable!

Finally, you will want to have a summary of what all the keybindings are:

systemsettings
-> Common Appearance and Behaviour
-> Shortcuts and Gestures

There you can also define "shortcut" key bindings within applications.

Of course there are many default settings to all this; they are just not
all the same as MS-Windows and differ in many places from Gnome.
KDE is nothing if not comprehensive. Yes it takes time to learn all
this, something many reviewers do not have the patience for or
willingness to explore and experiment with.

And yes it does take that willingness.

However once learned, KDE is wonderful.