Re: [opensuse] runlevel 3 openSUSE versus Mint 17.3
On 07/28/2016 08:29 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
The procedure for openSUSE is the same as always. Yes, there are new methods,
but the
old one also works and will work, so most of those old advices will work.
Like sax2? :-)

Login there (TTY 1) as root. Type "init 3" and enter. There you are, graphics
mode killed,
you can now install the nvidia driver. Run "startx" to try. Type "init 5" to
start graphics mode again. Same
I know about the alternate console but did not know about needing
init 3 to kill the server. I will write that in my "tips to remember"

Notice that if you search "nvidia" on our wiki you will find a link with the
correct instructions.
Read that before asking ;-)
I tried that but either I am doing something wrong or the wiki has issues.
This is where I should go, right?
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Wiki
I entered nvidia in the search field, top right on black menu bar.
I got nothing but but a few pieces of text that looked like a scripting
language.
I tried "Find a Page" and get zero results.

Do not modify grub settings to do this. That is a permanent change, you only
need a change for the current session.
got it. thanks

Damon Register