Re: [opensuse] What are the recommended reporitories for KDE/Leap 42.1?
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 20:04:40 +0930
On Wednesday, 3 August 2016 5:32:10 PM ACST Oliver Kurz wrote:
On Thursday 04 August 2016 00:51:42 Rodney Baker wrote:
Hi all. What repositories should I have selected to have a properly
working
KDE desktop in Leap 42.1? Or do I need to go back to 13.2 and start afresh
with a clean install?

[…]
KDE-related repositories that I currently have selected:

KDE Framework 5
OpenSuSE-Leap-42.1-Update
KDE:Extra
KDE Applications
KDE Unstable Extra (mainly for kaffeine5, which isn't working properly
either) Qt 5.7

[...]

Adding these additional repos will cause a lot of pain if you are not
careful and explicitly select which packages you want to install from which
additional repo. Leap 42.1 is very much working fine with no additional KDE
repo - see for example the openQA system test
https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/234878 - and also updating from e.g.
openSUSE 13.2 works. All of this is also automatically tested.

Thanks, Oliver. I did update from 13.2 using the documented procedure, using
only the main and update repos, and ended up with a badly broken, non-working
system with no KDE desktop. Despite several attempts, that remained the case
until I added the additional repositories. It is supposed to work, but in my
case it didn't. Maybe I should have done a clean install instead of an
upgrade.

I suggest the problems come either from a weird repo mix or your
configuration files. It might help to remove all additional repos, update
to the official state, add back whatever you need. A clean start by
deleting your config folder and hand-picking what is desired might also
help.

OK. I have been fairly careful in what I have selected from each repo, to get
to a working system. It may be a conflict from some leftover configs from
13.2, but given that none of my desktop settings were remembered from 13.2 to
Leap it looked to me like it used a different (separate?) config folder
structure than KDE4.

Or do I just blow the whole lot away and go to 42.2 as a fresh install?

You should not rely on Leap 42.2 in the current Alpha state to be usable as
a stable user system.

Fair call. It seems it will either be a clean install of 42.1 or a clean re-
install of 13.2, and then make all KF5-related packages taboo before doing any
updates.

I just don't fancy the idea of having to go through the pain of rebuilding the
system from scratch. Looks like I'll need another holiday from work to fix it.

Regards,
Rodney.