re: [opensuse] What are the recommended reporitories for KDE/Leap 42.1?

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Rodney Baker
Gesendet: So. 31.07.2016 05:51
An: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: [opensuse] What are the recommended reporitories for KDE/Leap 421?

Hi all. What repositories should I have selected to have a properly working
KDE desktop
in Leap 42.1? Or do I need to go back to 13.2 and start afresh with a clean
install?

What I'm currently seeing:

On first login after boot, often plasma widgets (e.g. the Start menu search
field) and
dialog boxes (e.g. the KDE Wallet password dialog) won't accept any keyboard
input,
despite apparently having the focus. This requires logging out and back in
again to get
things working.

Kmail5 never starts first time - it hangs indefinitely, requiring a "pkill
kmail" followed by
another attempt, which usually then works.
Using QT5.7 as a repo is not a good choice. Leap is a mix of kde4 and kde5,
only 42.2 (when stable) will be more on the plasma5 side.
This is not because of a lack of support from Leap but because of the fact that
Plasma 5 was at that state when Leap came out.

Konsole windows eventually stop responding to keyboard input after having
been open
for a while, necessitating a logout/login to restore keyboard input.

I think this is because you are experiencing crashes due to the mixed repo
setup you did choose.
Stick to Leap 42.1 main, update. Deactivate the rest of repos. Do a zypper ref,
then a zypper dup.
You will be asked to drop back to kmail4 and kontact4. This is a good choice. I
tried the newer versions but in Leap they did not work, at least not reliably
enough to do the job.

No DTV in Kaffeine (or any other DTV app) - black screen only, despite the
DTV tuner
card apparently correctly tuning and the correct program details being
displayed on the
OSD.
Again, try the above. Kaffeine and DTV needs the packman repo (do this at
last). You will also need libdvdcss if it is possible and legal in you country
(in Europe AFAIK it is).

A space bar that can't keep up with my typing speed, resulting in
wordsthatfrequentlyrunon (requiring frequent back-spaces to correct - at this
rate I'll
wear out my backspace key).
These are plasma crashes due to the repos I think.

Updates that frequently result in unsolvable dependency conflicts.

KDE-related repositories that I currently have selected:

Again: just select

OpenSuSE-Leap-42.1-Update
Leap 42.1 main repo.
Standard packages.

When I first upgraded to 42.1, the only DE could get (sort of) working was
Gnome.
Given the repos, this is normal.

Without the above repositories, I could not even get close to a working KDE
desktop
after upgrading from 13.2
Because you used additional repos and shifted to plasma 5 in 13.2. If you want
this, do not use Leap. Upgrade to TW.
With you settings you are not going to get a stable system anyway and you went
for the latest and greatest already in 13.2. So there is no reason to go for
Leap.

Oh - I also lost all of my desktop customisations and many plasma widgets
that I had
come to rely on that obviously haven't been ported to KF5/Plasma 5. That
makes it even
more tempting to revert.
This is expected behaviour. Plasma 5 is not ready yet, only partially ported
applications and plasmoids. If you want to the the "state of the moment" go TW
not Leap.

This is my opinion YMMV. Leap has been build to be extremely conservative for
minimizing risks, have little updates, so it is in parts even "older" then
13.2. This is wanted.
If you want to try and risk the current status of a working KDE Plasma 5
desktop go for tumbleweed. I do not see any sense in what you are trying to
achieve, if I am honest.

---
https://email.freenet.de/mail/Uebersicht?epid=e9900000451