Re: [opensuse] What are the recommended reporitories for KDE/Leap 42.1?
On Thursday 04 August 2016 00:51:42 Rodney Baker wrote:
Hi all. What repositories should I have selected to have a properly working
KDE desktop in Leap 42.1? Or do I need to go back to 13.2 and start afresh
with a clean install?

[…]
KDE-related repositories that I currently have selected:

KDE Framework 5
OpenSuSE-Leap-42.1-Update
KDE:Extra
KDE Applications
KDE Unstable Extra (mainly for kaffeine5, which isn't working properly
either) Qt 5.7

When I first upgraded to 42.1, the only DE could get (sort of) working was
Gnome. Without the above repositories, I could not even get close to a
working KDE desktop after upgrading from 13.2.

Oh - I also lost all of my desktop customisations and many plasma widgets
that I had come to rely on that obviously haven't been ported to KF5/Plasma
5. That makes it even more tempting to revert. Nevertheless, it feels like
I'm almost there with KF5/Plasma5, as long as I can figure out how to get
everything that does work, working properly.

Adding these additional repos will cause a lot of pain if you are not careful
and explicitly select which packages you want to install from which additional
repo. Leap 42.1 is very much working fine with no additional KDE repo - see
for example the openQA system test https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/234878 -
and also updating from e.g. openSUSE 13.2 works. All of this is also
automatically tested.

I suggest the problems come either from a weird repo mix or your configuration
files. It might help to remove all additional repos, update to the official
state, add back whatever you need. A clean start by deleting your config
folder and hand-picking what is desired might also help.

Or do I just blow the whole lot away and go to 42.2 as a fresh install?

You should not rely on Leap 42.2 in the current Alpha state to be usable as a
stable user system.