Re: [opensuse] Building a mid-range desktop PC - lower cost MB/CPU/video solution?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 22:05:27 -0400
On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 9:52 PM, Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 28 June 2016 at 23:15, Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So far I do not see where the "evil" in passive HDMI switching lies.
And these devices are quite cheap.

Upon a google: the "evil" is apparently that there is no such thing as
a passive HDMI switch. The cheap devices use the 5V power provided by
the HDMI source. Which means that if the source somehow does not
provide enough power, the device malfunctions.

Both of my sources do provide enough power. I suspect most stationary
computers provide enough power, at least if you use a short cable. I
will test with a tablet but this will be in some weeks, when the Mini
HDMI to HDMI adapter that I have ordered from China arrives. I can not
test a longer cable as I do not have/need one.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik

Thanks Mikhail,

My 4 PCs are all stationary so hopefully they provide enough power.

Greg