Re: [opensuse] Building a mid-range desktop PC - lower cost MB/CPU/video solution?
  • From: Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 23:15:49 +0100
On 24 June 2016 at 22:44, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Be sure not to get one that requires no power source to function, unless
you
can find one with an overwhelming number of favorable reviews. Passive HDMI
switching is evil.

I'm waiting to hear Mikhail's experience.
Have you had any luck with a HDMI switch? I've got my new PC put
together. I don't have openSUSE on it yet, but it boots.

I'm out of town for the weekend, but hope to test things out early
next week. Already a pain to physically change out the HDMI cables to
the monitor.

Well, I have now installed the passive HDMI switch, and it seems to work for me.

It is a cheap passive HDMI switch. 3 inputs, 1 output. I got it here:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/141951112096?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
; this is an EU seller, but of course there are a lot of similar
devices in the US. (It is even cheaper from China but that takes way
too long).

Here is what I did:

- Connected the output to my monitor using a DVI-HDMI cable. (Philips
190x6, 1280x1024)

- Connected Input 2 to my desktop (ASRock B75 Pro3 motherboard) using
a usual HDMI cable; the motherboard has an HDMI connector. This is the
OpenSUSE box.

- Powered up the computer. The monitor started working as normal.
OpenSUSE booted.

- Connected Input 3 to the docking station of a Thinkpad W530 laptop
(my work machine, running Windows 7). Switched keyboard/mouse (they
are now on a USB 2.0 hub) to the Thinkpad. Powered it up and the
monitor immediately switched to the Thinkpad.

- While it was booting I pressed the button on the HDMI switch and it
was back to the OpenSUSE box. At that point there was a "Plasma has
stopped" (or "crashed"? don't remember) message on the screen. I
switched the keyboard/mouse back to the OpenSUSE box and closed the
message. The OpenSUSE box appeared to be working normally.

- Switched back and forth a few times more using the button (and the
USB hub for keyboard/mouse) without any further issues.

So far I do not see where the "evil" in passive HDMI switching lies.
And these devices are quite cheap. (Just in case: if buying on ebay
watch postage charges and location. But you probably know this very
well).

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik