Re: [opensuse] Email Server
On 06/26/2016 12:37 PM, Paul Groves wrote:

I am also a bit confused, I have added my email addresses in postfix
admin. Do I also have to make local users with the same name and password?

The Postfix documentation descried a number of ways that you can
authenticate users in Postfix, but why should you?

You need to have a clear understanding of what constitutes a user.
Until you understand that then yes, you are going to be confused.

Again, Dovecot has a number of ways to authenticate the user.

Both have a default of making use of the users that have an account on
the machine, that is, that they are in /etc/password. That is NOT a
good way to set up an ISP! You don't want people to have access to or
accounts on the main machine just to process email. You may also be
faced with the issue of having multiple machines and even different ones
for user to send email (Postfix) and read email (Dovecot).

Both have facilities to use some other kind of authentication service,
be it NIX/YP, shared files via NFS, or, perhaps more sensibly, an
authentication server, be it Kerberos or Radius.

Again the documentation for doing this with both Postfix and Dovecot is
extensive. My experience is that many 'nationwide' ISPs that serve
though regional points-of-presence (PoP) make use of Radius or something
similar, since that can be backed with a distributed database such as
LDAP.

it's easy to find examples and how-tos for all this with Google

The differences between openSuse and Ubuntu are actually about the
difference between zypper and app-get, nothing to do with Dovecot or
Postfix.

https://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-server-opensuse-13.1-with-apache2-mysql-php-postfix-and-ispconfig-3
(6 pages)
http://www.server180.com/2014/12/how-to-install-postfix-dovecot-mysql.html