Re: [opensuse] Building a mid-range desktop PC - lower cost MB/CPU/video solution?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 19:32:25 -0400
On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 6:33 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I still need a HDMI switch (preferably manual).

Be sure not to get one that requires no power source to function, unless you
can find one with an overwhelming number of favorable reviews. Passive HDMI
switching is evil.

I'm waiting to hear Mikhail's experience.

I'll have 4 HDMI devices day one, but I think I should get 6 or 8
ports if feasible.

I'll be using just one of the computers via direct
monitor/keyboard/mouse attachment 95% of the time.

If I go with a simple HDMI switch, is the idea I would move my
keyboard and mouse connection manually? I could do that without too
much hassle. Basically only doing it when I need to access bios so it
would like bringing a crash cart up to a server in a data center.

When I get my overall workstation done, I'll send out a picture.

I really like the way it is coming together. I bought the overall frame just a
couple months ago. I've got 2 computers on the table top currently, 1
on each end of the table top. Then 2
monitors between them (for dual monitor use), and a nice shelf at
shoulder height to put USB 3 devices on (I use a bunch). I'm going to
put this PC on the ground directly under one of the existing PCs. I
actually bought an extra empty chassis today to sit opposite this one.
Should give the workstation and impressive (and yet symmetric) look.

I have clients, etc. that drop by and they always want to see my lab.
Thus the desire for an impressive case and yet a quiet experience.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
www.IntelligentAvatar.net