Re: [opensuse] Building a mid-range desktop PC - lower cost MB/CPU/video solution?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 16:30:25 -0400
On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The one I have is a handmedown. I only had to replace the hard disk,
and added external harddisks via USB. Slow is good enough in my case.
I hope to get one with eSATA one day :-)

Talking theoretical speeds only.

USB 2 is 0.480 Gbit/sec

USB 3 is 5 Gbit/Sec

eSata is 6 Gbit/Sec

USB 3.1 Gen 2 is 10 Gbit/Sec

NVMe is about 30,000 Gbit/Sec (Not a typo).

NVMe requires a almost direct connection to the PCIe bus, but laptops
are being made now that have that. Obviously it is not meant for
external storage purposes.

===
eSata in a laptop is yesterday's news already. I think you will have
to buy a used laptop if you want it.

USB 3 is easy to find. USB 3.1 Gen 2 is probably coming online now
and will be common shortly (I assume).

In a test with a desktop tower using a USB 3.1 Gen 2 PCIe add-on card,
a USB 3.1 Gen 2 dock, and a high-performance SSD I hit 580 MB/sec real
world And that was the limit of the SSD I was using.

So quit dreaming about eSata and start dreaming about USB 3.1 Gen 2
and high-speed external devices.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer