Re: [opensuse] Building a mid-range desktop PC - lower cost MB/CPU/video solution?
  • From: Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 20:35:44 +0100
On 10 June 2016 at 20:21, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That may make sense for gamers with dual multi-fan video cards, 135W or more
TDP CPUs and lebenty bazillion storage devices who buy $15 500W PSes or who
use the dangerous PS that came in their $29 gamer case. For others,
including those who are only satisfied with a quality PS, that's utter
nonsense.

On the other hand, for at least the lower rung of quality non-fanless
PSes, the difference between 400 W and 500 W is often something like
$10 - out of an amount approaching $100. So why bother?

I would insist on a quality PS for this machine for three reasons:
because of its use as a server, because he is going with an $100
Thermaltake case, because he wants it to be quiet.

And I would not go fanless, because of the i5 and presumably HDD.
Basically he will get that noise back with the CPU fan and the HDD
will not love having no cooling. Now with an i3 and SSD, fanless could
work well.

(Also this might be an academic debate because he has a great option
of putting in the 650W COrsair to have as a backup for the other
boxes).

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik