Re: [opensuse] Building a mid-range desktop PC - lower cost MB/CPU/video solution?
On 10 June 2016 at 04:56, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Best of luck with "automatic HDMI switches with manual override". It's
widespread knowledge that the automatic function of such HDMI switches
strongly tends to be broken. Power up a device while another is in active
use, and the switch jumps to the just-powered whether you want that or not.
With many, every connected device needs to be kept powered up continuously,
defeating most display power saving functionality, in order to keep any
desired connection intact. Finding an HDMI switch that's fully manual to
avoid that possibility seems a hopeless task.

It does not look hopeless to me. Manual HDMI switches are up on eBay
for roughly the same money as manual DVI switches.

If the very cheap "auto with override" that I have ordered fails me, I
am likely to get one of those one day.

Even worse for some people, HDMI switches are painfully slow compared to
analog video switches, forever waiting on HDCP handshaking, which can't be
reliably counted on to work at all.

But are DVI switches any better, seeing as it's the same protocol on
different connections? And analog video in itself is worse.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik