[opensuse] The Leap 42.2 Kernel Packages [WAS: Building a mid-range desktop PC - lower cost MB/CPU/video solution?]
On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 8:25 PM, Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Are you sure you're up for a piece of the Skylake on Linux grief some of us
have been reading about?

Did a quick google. There seem to be graphics issues that cause hangs
unless you disable hardware acceleration. And they seem to be fixed in
kernel 4.6. And kernel 4.6 was released less than a month ago. There
also seem to be power management issues but these don't apply to
desktop. According to this link
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/517282-How-i-can-install-kernel-4-5-in-to-the-Leap
one can already get a "vanilla" 4.6 kernel on Leap.

My hope is that a lot of the Skylake fixes will be backported to the
4.4 kernel which is the most recent LTS kernel from Kernel.org.

It is also going to be the Leap 42.2 kernel and SLE 12 SP2 kernel. It
is already getting a lot of love from the SLE kernel team.

I've got the Leap 42.2 Kernel in a Kernel:LTS tracking project. It
should get all the SLE 12 SP2 kernel patches/updates automatically.
I'm building for Tumbleweed, Leap 42.1, 13,2, and 13.1.

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/gregfreemyer:/Kernel:/LTS/

I'm planning to leave that there until the kernel team makes an
official Kernel:LTS project.

If anyone wants to test the Leap 42.2 kernel in advance without doing
a full Leap 42.2 install, please do. That's why I created the
project.

Also if people want to build kernel modules against it, they can. My
desire is that this repo can allow non Leap 42.2 testers to contribute
to testing out the Leap 42.2 kernel over the next 5 months or so.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
www.IntelligentAvatar.net