Re: [opensuse] Building a mid-range desktop PC - lower cost MB/CPU/video solution?
On 10 June 2016 at 03:59, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can't think of an internal cable at the moment. Make sure you have the
right monitor cable. Notably, the motherboard has DVI but not HDMI. If
your monitor has DVI, get a DVI cable. If you monitor has HDMI, get a
DVI-HDMI cable (they work fine, there is no degradation in quality).

Good to know about DVI => HDMI being fine.

I need to buy a HDMI KVM to hook this up to. (I'll end up with 4
towers going to the KVM.)

There are loads of "automatic HDMI switches with manual override"
available on ebay and amazon for a few bob. One is in the mail to me
now, as I have a DVI monitor and two boxes (worn and home) with both
DVI and HDMI outputs. These HDMI switches are far cheaper than proper
KVMs, including DVI ones. I'll report on the results when I get the
device and the DVI-HDMI cable. (But I did already use a DVI-HDMI
converter).

If I'm going to $100, I bought this last time:

Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX
Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)

Buying one of those would give me a spare and I know it is very quiet.

Yes, certainly a great choice. With this being a spare, I would
definitely recommend spending the extra money and getting it instead
of the cheap one.

Good info. I do care a lot about noise. 6 computers total in my lab
when I'm done and I want to be able to work in there for extended
periods.

Then take care to have good quiet PSUs and CPU fans. Generally, the
bigger the fan the better, though there are other factors of course.
(A bigger fan can move the same amount of air while rotating at a
lower speed).

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik