Re: [opensuse] Building a mid-range desktop PC - lower cost MB/CPU/video solution?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 22:50:17 -0400
On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 8:02 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greg Freemyer composed on 2016-06-09 19:04 (UTC-0400):

This is what I've got picked out right now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/RXQD3F (or see below)

CPU
Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor
$179.99

I'll need to get a SATA cable I assume. Any other cables, etc. I need to
buy?

Every retail boxed motherboard I've bought since SATA was born shipped with
at least two SATA cables.

Great. I've haven't done a build myself in a long time. The last
couple I paid $100 to have someone else put it together. This one
looks like it should be quick to assemble, so I'll do it myself.

Motherboard
ASRock H110M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
$49.99

I bought an Asrock once. It won't happen again. It lasted about two weeks
past its warranty expiration. AFAICT, Asrock is a lower tier brand, like
eCS, and a bunch of brands that no longer exist.

I have a X99 ASUS and a X99 AsRock. The AsRock is superior. I'll try
it again. At worst, I'm only wasting $50.

My last mobo purchase, 9 months ago, is what I'm typing from:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130699

with this CPU from eBay for $46:
http://ark.intel.com/products/77773/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G3220-3M-Cache-3_00-GHz

Are you sure you're up for a piece of the Skylake on Linux grief some of us
have been reading about?

I'll go with Tumbleweed most likely. And I won't doing any graphics
locally, so I'll give it a shot. (Occasional downtime is not an
issue. Only 2 users, but I don't want to have to have uptime issues
too often. And no more than a couple reboots a week.)

Memory
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
$112.99

and 16G DDR3 RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226404

The MB only has 2 RAM slots (I think).

Case
Thermaltake Core V51 ATX Mid Tower Case
$97.61

Lotsa case for a micro ATX mobo. :-p

I have 2 of those now. I want to have 4 matching machines at some
point so my lab looks like it was designed to be cohesive.

Last time I bought a new case I can't remember. It was probably at least 12
years ago. My ancient Antec cases have hard to strip steel screw threads,
unlike all the aluminum cases I've encountered since.

Power Supply
CoolMax 300W Micro ATX Power Supply
$21.88

Doesn't look like it's an 80Plus.

I set a price floor of about $30-35 on power supplies I buy. Even with the
CoolMax name I'm skeptical of a price that low for 300W.

Got it, and noise matters. Off to Mikhail's email.

Greg

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/