Re: [opensuse] Building a mid-range desktop PC - lower cost MB/CPU/video solution?
  • From: Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 02:51:30 +0100
On 10 June 2016 at 02:41, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And Skylake is his only option if he wants DDR4. Amd he wants DDR4 so
that he can use the same memory as his higher end stations. I honestly
think this is worth the risk, because Intel is known to work on its
Linux drivers, so even if one has to disable acceleration temporarily
it should not be too long.

Intel's contribution to the FOSS video driver seems to be vested almost
entirely in a very heavily overloaded Chris Wilson. Intel's driver has been
stuck at "2.99.917" for about 20 months.

As I understand from what I google, the Skylake changes need kernel
work not X.org driver work?

And Chris Wilson is still one more compared to the alternatives from
NVidia and AMD/ATI? Though I am not really sure about the latter.

OTOH and NAICT, it doesn't seem to be common knowledge that Intel gfx users
have two competent drivers to choose from on Linux. The modeset driver built
into Xorg since 1.17.x is supposed to be good for all of the big three
gfxchip lines, as long as the user's gfxchip is non-antique, somewhere in
the 8-9 years old or less range. I'm using modeset for all my installations
that qualify with new enough server and new enough gfxchip, with no gfx
performance issues that I've as yet become aware of.

But this means one lives without DRI/3D at all?

Might be a good stopgap for Skylake, I don't know enough about that.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik