Re: [opensuse] Building a mid-range desktop PC - lower cost MB/CPU/video solution?
  • From: Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 01:25:25 +0100
On 10 June 2016 at 01:02, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I bought an Asrock once. It won't happen again. It lasted about two weeks
past its warranty expiration. AFAICT, Asrock is a lower tier brand, like
eCS, and a bunch of brands that no longer exist.

My last mobo purchase, 9 months ago, is what I'm typing from:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130699

Well I do use an ASRock motherboard but YMMV - and I was not using it
long enough to comment, really. MSI might be a good idea.

with this CPU from eBay for $46:
http://ark.intel.com/products/77773/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G3220-3M-Cache-3_00-GHz

There seem to be different schools of thought on whether one needs
power in the CPU or not. I do use a G2120 (this same kind but from
2013), and I would honestly pick one of those and spend more on PSU
and CPU fan to keep the thing silent. But if Greg wants an i5 he wants
an i5.

Are you sure you're up for a piece of the Skylake on Linux grief some of us
have been reading about?

Did a quick google. There seem to be graphics issues that cause hangs
unless you disable hardware acceleration. And they seem to be fixed in
kernel 4.6. And kernel 4.6 was released less than a month ago. There
also seem to be power management issues but these don't apply to
desktop. According to this link
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/517282-How-i-can-install-kernel-4-5-in-to-the-Leap
one can already get a "vanilla" 4.6 kernel on Leap.

And Skylake is his only option if he wants DDR4. Amd he wants DDR4 so
that he can use the same memory as his higher end stations. I honestly
think this is worth the risk, because Intel is known to work on its
Linux drivers, so even if one has to disable acceleration temporarily
it should not be too long.

Doesn't look like it's an 80Plus.

I set a price floor of about $30-35 on power supplies I buy. Even with the
CoolMax name I'm skeptical of a price that low for 300W.

I've already posted a treatise on PSUs and CPU fans :)

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik