Re: [opensuse] Building a mid-range desktop PC - lower cost MB/CPU/video solution?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 19:04:10 -0400
On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The X99 uses the LGA 2011-3 socket, which is a high-end socket. This
pretty much limits you to the Core i7 CPU (and the more expensive
server versions). Unless you buy a used CPU, it seems like you won't
get much lower than the 379 for the CPU. Moreover, this socket has no
provisioning for integrated graphics so you would have to buy some
graphics card too. Honestly I do not see this motherboard as a good
option.

In my opinion, Intel integrated graphics is the single best option for
Linux if you are not interested in serious gaming etc. and especially
if you are on a tight budget. Intel contributes its drivers to the
kernel and X.Org so you never need any binaries. You install, it
works. And no separate graphics means no separate fan means a quieter
system. For this reason I always pick Intel for my Linux machines (I'm
not a gamer nor a 3D designer). I am writing this on a Pentium G2120
box with an ASRock B75 Pro3-M motherboard (a 2013 build).

And honestly this is what I would do in your place, too. Get a cheaper
motherboard with Socket LGA1151, supporting the same DDR4 memory that
your big models use. Get the same model of DIMMs so you can swap them
around if necessary. And get an Intel Core i3 CPU. Or i5 for more
power, whatever, but I think i3 and more RAM is possibly a better
idea( unless you intend to compile stuff on it). Use integrated
graphics. Enjoy.

Fantastic info. Thanks

This is what I've got picked out right now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/RXQD3F (or see below)

That's the same Case and RAM I have in my expensive tower ($2K).
(Likely overkill, but I like the idea of that.)

I've got a HDD/SSD to throw in and a USB DVD to install from.

I'll need to get a SATA cable I assume. Any other cables, etc. I need to buy?

Anything you see I'm choosing poorly?

==== parts list if ===
CPU
Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor
$179.99

Motherboard
ASRock H110M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
$49.99

Memory
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
$112.99

Case
Thermaltake Core V51 ATX Mid Tower Case
$97.61