Re: [opensuse] apache 2.4 performance issue / processwire.
On Thu, 2016-06-09 at 12:13 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 06/09/2016 11:56 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
Disabling open_basedir while also disabling symlinks in PHP and ideally
in Apache if possible might be a fix. I haven't looked closely enough to
know. I'm nervous about deliberately opening security holes for good
reason since the bad guys will be testing for those.

Adding a local disk is almost certainly a fix, if possible.

Making a RAM-based filesystem to cache that part of your disks might be
a possibility, if you can separate out anything thta changes state
whilst the service is active.

Those are god ideas, Dave, but they really patch over the problem, which
I think is a design/architecture one:

The point is what can Per change with reasonable effort versus what can
Rasmus and friends sensibly fix (given that they've shown no signs of
doing it for up to a decade (depending how you measure).

Why do I know Perl and not PHP? It's not a coincidence.

Cheers, Dave

Why is it lstat()ing all those files every time?

Solve that and those 'patches' aren't critical.
I'm not saying that speed improvements like these are of no use, just
that a design/architecture change gets to the root cause and fixing that
is more bountiful.