Re: [opensuse] apache 2.4 performance issue / processwire.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 11:33:40 +0200
Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:

Op woensdag 8 juni 2016 18:23:33 CEST schreef Per Jessen:
The developer claims the site serves fine on his own PC (typical
multi-core thingie)

And he has developped for a single user website on an equivalent of
his PC ? If he's a real webdevelopper he should know that his claim is
useless.

Well yes. The web-programmer/developer/designer world is full of cowboys
and self-taught what-have-yous. It is a fact of life, it is just a
pity that I end up spending hours and hours sorting things out
afterwards.

Things I've seen where developers / designers claimed "it was running
OK on their machine" :
- MySQL databases with no indices ( works fine locally with 2
customers, 10 products, 10 orders )
- Huge queries that should only run for logged in users, but placed
outside the closed parts of the site
- Badly writen queries ( with OK results .... easily done )
- Calls to external webservices being left out

Yes, scalability and preparing for it can be an issue, but it isn't in
this case. The site is largely static, but based on an-easy-to-use CMS
for the customer to make minor changes himself (news, success stories
and such).

In my experience apache and nginx are hardly ever the cause of
websites running slow. Too many high res pictures can be one, but most
modern CMS's have their own caches, where they keep resized images,
some even reduce on the fly when uploading pics. Most of the issues in
the performance area I've seen are related to queries. The amount of
attempts to "load everything we need in one query" .... sigh.

Fortunately, that sort of thing is easy to diagnose and to fix. Now,
what about my 15000 lstat() calls? :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.8°C)