Re: [opensuse] apache 2.4 performance issue / processwire.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 22:06:47 +0200
Anton Aylward wrote:

On 06/08/2016 01:32 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Didn't that patent expire already?
Yes it did, but I don't see people reverting to gif.

It depends what you mean by "reverting".

Abandoning png in favour of gif.

I've just done a peek under the hood at a search on eBay. All the
structural stuff, the parts that done by eBay, are .png. I think there
are a few jpgs there.

The overwhelming majority of the vendor images were gif.

eBay may well have bought a gif license back when it was a problem. I'm not
sure if such a large commercial site is a representative example. Just
thinking out loud.

If by 'reverting' you men the design & server and files are already in
place, then why change? What is the motive? I'll grant you that.

Right.

But there's no shortage of people using gif files in many contexts for
'new stuff'.

I don't think so, but I have no hard data back it up with, just like you :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.5°C)