Re: [opensuse] apache 2.4 performance issue / processwire.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 19:49:25 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

However, rendering it as a jpeg is always lossy, by definition. Some
quality is lost, and you decide how much, in a compromise between
quality and size.

I don't know, but an uncompressed jpeg might mean no loss? I mean, some
digital cameras produce uncompressed JPEGs.

Why? Because you can move the quality slider from 1 to 100 and watch
the result dynamically, instantly, and decide how much quality you
want to sacrifice. No other tool allows this.

On screenshots for documentation, I invariably use 50-60, unless it's
really complex.

Try 'convert' from the ImageMagick package.

Not if you want to make the informed quality decision.

Yeah, I can see that. No pun intended.

Its a shame that PNG doesn't define a 'text" chunk the way that HTML
does, or the other "XML" like standards such as SVG. NAPLPS, a
sort-of precursor to HTML in some ways was very text oriented and
also had 'text' chunks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAPLPS

IBMs DCF (specifically GML) is the direct-line ancestor. I worked quite
a bit with GML & SCRIPT in the mid-to-late 80s, they had tags such as
p, h1, h2, ol, li, ul, sl etc etc. When HTML turned up, it didn't take
much to learn.

HTML was written using SGML (ISO 8879:1986), which in turn was
derived/expanded from GML, which dates back to the late 60s.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.7°C)